Do I have to pay a fee in order to register as a lobbyist in Delaware?


I am a new lobbyist. How do I register?

Go to and select 'Lobbyist.' You will need to have a username and password. If you do not have one, simply follow the instructions for the New User Registration. Once you have a username and password, you may log into the Lobbyist area and complete the registration. For more detailed instructions, go to the: How to Become a Lobbyist page.

What is PIRS?

PIRS is an acronym for the Public Integrity Reporting System. It is a database that collects and stores information about lobbyists and Public Officers.

What if I forgot my password or Username?

We do not have access to your password. You can reset your password if you cannot remember it. There is a 'Forgot My Password' link just to the right of the login box. Once you click that link, you will be asked to answer the two security questions you chose when you set up your profile. The answers to the questions are case sensitive. Once you answer the security questions a reset link will be sent to the email address listed in your profile. The link will allow you to create a new password. If you do not remember the answers to your security questions please contact our Administrative Assistant at 739-2399 during regular business hours. We do have access to your Username. If you cannot remember your username, call our office during regular business hours or click on the 'Forgot Username' link to the right of the login box.  

Must I report an employer to complete the lobbyist registration process?

Yes, you must have at least one valid employer to complete the registration process. 

Do I need to enter a valid end date for the Employer Authorization form? How long is the Employer Authorization Form valid?

No, you may select the checkbox marked 'indefinite' instead of selecting an end date. If you enter an end date, but later wish to extend or change the selection to 'indefinite,' you may do so. The form is valid until you ‘terminate’ your employer.

What is the lobbyist expenditure reporting schedule?



First Day of Filing Period

Final Due Date


Jan., Feb., Mar

April 1st

April 20th


April, May, June

July 1st

July 20th


July, Aug., Sept.

October 1st

Oct. 20th


Oct., Nov., Dec.

January 1st (following year)

Jan. 20th

How do I view expense reports I have previously submitted?

Log in to PIRS, under the ‘Reports’ menu you can select ‘Submitted Reports’. Here you will be able to view and edit any expense report you have previously submitted.

What happens if I don’t file my expense report on time?

If you have not filed your expense report by the 21st of the month following the calendar quarter, your account will lock and late fees will begin to accrue. The late fee for the first day of delinquency is $25 and increases by $10 per day for each subsequent day to a maximum of $100. In order to log in to your account, you will need to pay the late fee with a credit card. PIRS accepts VISA and MasterCard. The Commission does make exceptions for exigent circumstances such as hospitalization, etc. If you want to request a waiver of the late fee you must call the office BEFORE you enter your credit card information. The best way to avoid late fees is to file your report on time.

Do I report campaign contributions as expenses?

No. To get information about how to report campaign contributions, contact the Department of Elections at 739-4277.

Why do I have to report my lobbying activity?

Pursuant to 29 Del. C. § 5836 all lobbyists must report all lobbying activity on legislation and administrative regulations within 5 days of the lobbying contact or within 5 days after the legislation has been introduced in the General Assembly or within 5 days after the administrative regulation has been adopted. You do not have to report whether you lobbied for or against legislation or administrative regulation.

How/Where do I report my lobbying activity? How/Where do I enter the bill number/administrative regulation that I am lobbying?

Once you have logged in, go to the ‘Manage’ section click the link to ‘My Lobbying Activity’. Next, choose the employer for which you are lobbying and click ‘Manage Activity’. From there, follow the instructions on the page to select the correct legislative or administrative action.

I can't find the bill number that I am lobbying in the list that is provided. What do I do?

The list is populated by data stored in the State of Delaware Legislative Information System and is updated every 15 minutes. If you cannot find your bill, it could be a timing issue and we suggest you check back in a few minutes. If you continue to be unable to find it, contact us at 739-2399.  

I entered a bill number and it was incorrect. Can I edit/delete it?

Yes, just click the link labeled ‘Delete’ and answer ‘Ok’ when prompted to confirm that you want to delete the activity.

Am I required to have a lobbyist identification badge to gain access to Legislative Hall?

No. Legislative Hall is a State building and is open to the public. Wearing a lobbyist ID badge simply means you do not have to sign into the Visitors Log when you enter the building. You will be required, along with everyone else, to pass through the security screening area.

How do I obtain a lobbyist ID badge?

The ID badges are issued through DMV (Kent County). If you are an active lobbyist in good standing, you can contact Colinda Marker at 744-2592 for further information.

When I log in, the system tells me that I'm inactive. What do I do?

There are several reasons a lobbyist may become inactive. If you do not know why your profile is listed as inactive, contact PIC at 739-2399.

How do I change/update my contact information or email address?

Log into PIRS, under ‘Manage’ and select ‘Edit My Profile’. You can then edit/change any information in your profile.

I no longer wish to be a lobbyist. How do I make my account inactive?

If you have no expenses to report, go into ‘Manage My Employers’ and terminate all of your employers. This will automatically make your account inactive. If you have expenses to report, you may not terminate your employers until after the quarterly expense report is due. See filing schedule.

I no longer want to be a lobbyist. Can I just stop logging in to my profile?

No! Failure to terminate your employers will keep your status as ‘active’. If you are listed as ‘active’ you are required to file all expense reports as they become due. If you do not file your report, your account will accrue late fees.

I removed all of my employers and now I am inactive. What do I do if I wish to lobby again in the future?

Your profile remains in the system, do not create a new one. If you wish to actively lobby again, you will need to log in (using the same username and password) and add an employer. At that point, you will become active (if all previous reports have been filed).